Thursday, April 8, 2010

terrible 2s

So, I took Sadie to the doctor this morning after feeling whole heartedly that she was suffering from something...an ear infection, sore throat, sinuses, allergies, something.  She was off the charts fussy yesterday and this morning had a complete meltdown over nothing.  She cried uncontrolably and without me being able to sooth her for over an hour.  After her tears and mine; and seeing Shelbi standing there looking at both of us like we are crazy, I called the doctor and made an appointment.  I was sure she'd find something.  Afterall, Shelbi is on an antibiotic for an ear and sinus infection, I've also been on amoxicillin for the same.  It seemed obvious that Sadie probably had the same.
 
After a thorough evaluation, she is a completely healthy child.  The conclusion....Sadie is developmentally at 24-28months old..."Terrible Twos."
 
After pointing out that I've had a perfectly tempered loving child for the past 5 years and that I pretty much avoided (so far) the 2-3 year old temper tantrums with Shelbi, that the conclusion is that Sadie is struggling to tell us what she wants and then compounded by her disablilites...she is having tantrums.
 
Well this got me thinking on the way home, as I was debated to drink a beer with lunch or take a "pill" instead....that if Sadie has been on the 50%-60% developomental track for the past 5 years....Does that lead me to conclude she might possibly be in the terrible 2's -3's stage for 2-3 years????????  oh my gosh the thought of that really makes me want medication.  That might be an overstatement because I'm pretty level headed when handling Sadie.  My husband; on the other hand, well I kinda lose my head with him =)
 
Well, we are home now and as I type this post, Sadie is running around the deck soaking wet in a t-shirt and pajama pants (without a diaper) playing in the 6 foot plastic pool filled about 2 inches with cold water.....AND she is happy as can be and seems to be for now at least, back to her normal self.  Thank Goodness.
 
Oh, Shelbi when to Granny's today for some quiet one on one without Sadie.  She deserves a break too.  I need to always remember that. 

Time is a Thief

I don't remember the first time I heard the sentiment, "time is a thief." Recently it is heavy on my mind. I haven't post...