Sunday, January 12, 2014

SibShops

After participating in my state's Partners in Policymaking program 2010-2011, I learned that another PIP graduate brought SibShops to my area for her end of the year project.
"Sibshops are best described as opportunities for brothers and sisters of children with special health and developmental needs to obtain peer support and education within a recreational context. They reflect an agency's commitment to the well-being of the family member most likely to have the longest-lasting relationship with the person with special needs."
~ http://www.siblingsupport.org/sibshops/frequently-asked-questions-about-sibshops.pdf
At that time in 2011, Sadie was nearly 6 and her younger sister was nearly 3; therefore, she would have to wait at least three years to attend a meeting.

Shelbi was able to attend her first meeting this past November.  Happily, she instantly connected with the people running the meeting and also the other children in her group.  She enjoyed the meeting so much that she was excited to attend the next one.  However, due to scheduling, she couldn't attend the next meeting until yesterday.

At the meeting yesterday, she was so excited to be there, so much so that she actually didn't want me to stay with her for the meeting.

When I arrived back two hours later to pick her up, she was modeling playdoh and chatting with another sibling. This also gave me the opportunity to drive around and explore the area, stop at a few shops and grab a coffee.  We both benefited from the morning.

I'm so thankful for programs in our area to support the lives and health of siblings of people with developmental/intellectual disabilities. 
Virtual Waterway on the floor with puddling water sounds too

Time is a Thief

I don't remember the first time I heard the sentiment, "time is a thief." Recently it is heavy on my mind. I haven't post...