Friday, March 6, 2009

Angelman Results

It's been a while since I posted. Honestly, I don't know where the days went?
Life has been busy. Our family, all excluding my husband, had the stomach bug...twice. Yes, the stomach bug can go through your house two times in two weeks. Shelbi and I shared a bucket for a few hours, while daddy took care of Sadie. The first round only lasted 6-8 hours. I do say only because the second round two weeks later lasted three days for Shelbi, 5 days and three stomach medications for Sadie, and one day for me with days of still being nauseous.
Sadie finally went back to school this week.
We skipped school and went to the zoo last Friday. It was 60' out...who would blame me? The girls had a great time. Sadie even mimicked some kids saying "ewhhhhh" when the elephant was pooping.
Although the beginning of the week was excruciatingly cold, today was a sunny 75 and tomorrow is supposed to be the same. We went out and played in the backyard as much as possible. Both girls love to be outside. I'm so glad...I think they got that from me...I love gardening.
Tomorrow we are going to the the Down Syndrome monthly meeting for parents and play group for the kids.
As for therapy, Sadie is having kinesio taping done to help with the external rotation of her legs. Basically, it's stretchy tape that winds around her leg like a candy cane to rotate her leg outward. We are really discouraging the W sit position too. We constantly say, "Fix your feet Sadie!"
Oh and on the medical front, the Angelman UBE3A test came back normal. So the deletion on the 8th chromosome is more profoundly affecting her than we originally thought it would.
Sadie recently showed some interest in sitting on the potty. She's interested in the potty...not telling me she needs to pee. There's a BIG difference. So this week, whenever she is dry for a while, I put her on the potty. Sometimes she goes and sometimes she doesn't. And she still goes even if she's standing without a diaper. We are no where near potty trained, but at least she isn't afraid of the pee coming out anymore.
She is so loving and happy. I only wish she could talk. She will be 4 next month and I can't believe it.

Time is a Thief

I don't remember the first time I heard the sentiment, "time is a thief." Recently it is heavy on my mind. I haven't post...